Saturday 24 March 2018

Sonnet no 29 by William Shakespeare with Explanation


Sonnet no 29 by William Shakespeare with Explanation

(1)
When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,

Explanation:
When I've fallen out of favor with fortune and men,
All alone I weep over my position as a social outcast,
And pray to heaven, but my cries go unheard,
And I look at myself, cursing my fate,

(2)
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;

Explanation:
Wishing I were like one who had more hope,
Wishing I looked like him; wishing I were surrounded by friends,
Wishing I had this man's skill and that man's freedom.
I am least contented with what I used to enjoy most.

(3)
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
Explanation:
But, with these thoughts – almost despising myself,
I, by chance, think of you and then my melancholy
Like the lark at the break of day, rises
From the dark earth and (I) sing hymns to heaven;

(4)
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
Explanation:
For thinking of your love brings such happiness
That then I would not change my position in life with kings.



Summary and Explanation of Poem:

Lines 1-2: The Speaker in poem in very depressive mood.  In first line he finds himself “out of Luck”.  He has a bad luck. Even the local public don’t like him. He is outcast from the society.

Lines 3-4: make allusion to Job of the Old Testament in the Bible, who was cast out onto a dung heap and called to a God who didn't listen. The poet finds himself in the similar situation: Heaven personified as God, and God has turned into "deaf," Speaker is crying uselessly, he is cursing himself.

Lines 5-9: Speaker wishes to get some more hope. He long for friends. He is alone. He does not have friends. He complains that other people have everything. They are enjoying a lot, but Speaker has nothing. Neither good luck nor friends, nor respect.

Lines 10-12: The simile of a lark is developed here. By chance, Speaker  think about his beloved. As the lark bird sings songs and make a morning happy and cheerful recalling his beloved makes Speaker very happy.

Line 13-14: The final couplet, speaker says that he is better off than a king. He is happier than a king.
 





Hello Friends,
I am Raj.
This is my blog. I am here only to help all the students preparing for Uttar Pradesh TGT/ PGT/ LT English Paper. I have a deep interest in Arts and Literature. So I love to study it. If you got any query feel free to email me: hot2016raj@gmail.com
Follow my You tube channel: UP English TGT/PGT Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment