Thursday 29 March 2018

Sonnet no 138 by William Shakespeare हिंदी में पूरी कविता की व्याख्या






What is Shakespearean Sonnet?
Sonnet 138 is one of the most famous of William Shakespeare's sonnets. Making use of frequent puns ("lie" and "lie" being the most obvious), it shows an understanding of the nature of truth and flattery in romantic relationships. The poem has also been argued to be biographical: many scholars have suggested Shakespeare used the poem to discuss his frustrating relationship with the Dark Lady, a frequent subject of many of the sonnets. (To note, the Dark Lady was definitely not Shakespeare's wife, Anne Hathaway.) The poem emphasizes the effects of age and the associated deterioration of beauty, and its effect on a sexual or romantic relationship.

 

What is Shakespearean Sonnet?

Shakespeare's sonnets is the title of a collection of 154 sonnets by William Shakespeare, which covers themes such as the passage of time, love, beauty and mortality. The first 126 sonnets are addressed to a young man; the last 28 to a woman.
1 – 126 sonnets are addressed to Fair Youth
127-154 no sonnets are addressed to Dark Lady
first 17 poems, traditionally called the procreation sonnets
The final two sonnets are allegorical treatments of Greek epigrams referring to the "little love-god" Cupid.

Structure—
The sonnets are almost all constructed from three quatrains, which are four-line stanzas, and a final couplet composed in iambic pentameter.[21] This is also the meter used extensively in Shakespeare's plays.
The rhyme scheme is abab cdcd efef gg
Sonnets using this scheme are known as Shakespearean sonnets.
Often, either the beginning of the third quatrain or of the last couplet mark the volta ("turn"), or the line in which the mood of the poem shifts, and the poet expresses a revelation



When my love swears that she is made of truth,
I do believe her though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutored youth,
Unlearned in the world’s false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue,
On both sides thus is simple truth suppressed:
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O love’s best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love, loves not to have years told.
Therefore I lie with her, and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flattered be.


EXPLANATION LINE BY LINE
When my love swears that she is made of truth
When my mistress swears that she is faithful
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
So that she might think I am some inexperienced youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Ignorant of all the deceit that exists in the world.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Thus foolishly thinking that I am still young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Although she knows that my best days are behind me,
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
Foolishly I give credit to the untruths she tells about me;
On both sides thus is simple truth suppress'd.
So that both of us are supressing the ugly truth.
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
But why does she not tell me that she is unfaithful?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
And why do I not admit that I am old?
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
O, love's best disguise is the pretence of truth,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
And older lovers do not like to have their age pointed out:
Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
That is why I lie to her and she to me,
And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.
And the lies we tell each other help us forget our respective faults.



  Rhyming Scheme-- abab cdcd efef gg





      When my love swears that she is made of truth a
I do believe her though I know she lies, b
That she might think me some untutored youth, a
Unlearned in the world’s false subtleties.  b
      Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young, c
Although she knows my days are past the best, d
Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue, c
On both sides thus is simple truth suppressed d
      But wherefore says she not she is unjust?  e
And wherefore say not I that I am old? f
O love’s best habit is in seeming trust, e
And age in love, loves not to have years told. f
      Therefore I lie with her, and she with me, g
And in our faults by lies we flattered be. g 




For  Exam--
      Try to remember and recognize lines of the poem.
      Year when it published– 1609
      Who were addressed in poem– The Dark Lady
      Figure of speech used in poem- pun
 



From Author---

Hello Friends,
I am Raj.
This is my blog. I am here only to help all the students preparing for Uttar Pradesh TGT/ PGT/ LT English Paper. I have a deep interest in Arts and Literature. So I love to study it. If you got any query feel free to email me: hot2016raj@gmail.com
Follow my You tube channel: UP English TGT/PGT Paper


 

2 comments: